Good morning everyone!
As I mentioned in my last post, it has been a long time since I wrote anything for my blog. Today, I’d like to reflect on why, in my view, a very exciting personal project never really took off and why now may be the right time to give it another go. As you can imagine, there are many kinds of reasons involved, so I apologise in advance for any messiness presenting my thoughts.
Why PilarBear never really got started? (Well, I did post 4 entries, but I don’t consider that as getting started.)
- I was too ambitious. The first mistake when trying to start my blog was that I just wanted it to be perfect: perfect pictures, perfect colour palette, perfect branding, perfect projects… basically perfect everything. No need to say that, as a blogging amateur, everything was far from perfect. This led me to great frustration.
- I did not know what to blog about. This is a weird one because, how could I wanted to have a blog if I didn’t have anything to write about? Well, the answer is related to the previous point. Since I felt nothing that I made was good enough, I felt I did not have anything to share. As hard as this is to acknowledge, it was clearly a lack of confidence on myself and my skill set.
- I wasn’t in the right place: By this I don’t mean on a physical place, but in the right mindset. At the time, I was living in England and commuting into London everyday. Some people do suit this, but it definitely did not suit me. I was constantly chasing for a better job, for a better pay, for a better future, but it just never seemed to be good enough or arrive at the right time. I guess I was just immerse in a swirl of things that didn’t let me take a step back and look at life with perspective.
Why PilarBear is ready to go now?
- I’ve got my feet on the ground. I am not a superwoman that does everything perfectly and that is fine. Just by acknowledging this, I feel more willing to take my ideas into action even if the results are not as I’d ideally like them to be. And that’s fine too. As a result, I happen to do more things and more often than not I am greatly surprised by the results; still not perfect, but definitely much better than waiting for perfection.
- My blog has now got a clear focus. I have now overcome my fear of ruining fabric. When I started sewing, I just could not bring myself to use up my nice fabric stash because I felt I needed to practice more and more and then some more before I could make something worthy with it. But then I realised that the only way to get better was to actually tackle projects and learn from my mistakes (I’m clearly a genius!) and that’s what I am doing now. And that’s the focus of my blog, to keep a sewing journal where I can share my learning process, hoping that by sharing my experiences, both positive and negative, I will be able to help other sewers in their processes too. My conclusion: the only thing you need to fear is to do nothing!
- Right place, changing place. Don’t think I am all settled and all that stuff and that’s why I’ve decided to write. Far from it. Actually, I am about to face the biggest change of my life and I have no idea how things are going to be like once our little one is born at the end of the summer. Actually, thinking about it, to start a blog may not be the best of ideas as I’m pretty sure I’ll have less time once he/she is here. But anyway, this time is different. Being pregnant is a very demanding thing. No matter what you want to do, or when or what, your body comes first and you need to listen to it. And little by little a life is forming in your belly. So what I’ve done is to take this concept and apply it to other areas of my life, in this case, my blog. Now I am listening to what I want to share, and little by little I will be crafting up these series of sewing and other experiences.
- I don’t want to loose my friends! Since I am in full sewing mode at the minute, I feel like I am constantly sending them pics of my makes. So, since they are lovely people and don’t want to loose them, I want to share my makes with people that actually want to see them so I can give some time off to my friends. Hope you are one of them!
I’m not sure how many of you will have got this far but it’s ok, it is pretty long! I just needed to put into words and in some kind of order why I wanted to restart my blog now; it’s definitely been a very useful writing exercise.
Thanks for reading!